jeudi 21 avril 2016

Old Age

With the legendary Steve Davis retiring it got me thinking, at what stage should us mere mortals give up?

I (perhaps wrongly) assume that at home Steve could still knock in 100's all day long, but for some reason can't replicate that form in tournaments, but how do club players find age affects them?

I have always played pool and very occasionally snooker, but at the ripe old age of 35 and finding myself having a bit of time on my hands I thought about getting back into playing pool a bit more, last time I went down to play however only snooker tables were free, so I ended up trying to pot 3 reds and blacks, which I finally achieved after about 90 minutes :-(

Anyway, that got me thinking, if most pro's finish up around the 40 mark, then for the rest of us, is there really any point in even trying to get better, are we doomed to failure, or does the deterioration that seems to occur with age only really make a significant difference at the top level?

I guess what I'm trying to weigh up, is hypothetically if I decided to play (for arguments sake) snooker 3 times a week, regularly for the next 20 years, would I continue to improve, or in a few years would I simply tail off and it would all go to waste?

I appreciate its a sort of impossible question to answer, but for club level players, at what point does improvement (generally) stop?
Old Age

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire