samedi 23 juillet 2016

Slow player problem

Hi All,

I am a studious player who has picked up the game later in life but would still like to achieve my potential even at a competitive level. I have studied the books from cover to cover and I have built up a very orthodox technique, so much so that many player accuse me of being slow. Over the years I have received a lot of negative criticism for this 'slow' style (mainly from the faster players it has to be said) and this seems to be etched into me and now has a very negative psychological impact on the way I play, causing me to rush and missing relatively easy shots as a result.
I'll admit that a lot of players would claim very impressive breaks in practice but struggle in a match, perhaps also due to the psychological stresses. I feel much more comfortable playing a slow/methodical player as I feel as if I don't need to speed up my game, if not for my opponent but for the spectators watching the game and judging me as a time waster.

The truth is that no matter what situation, match play or solo practice, I try to keep the same rhythm of play throughout. I do not believe my time between shots is slow - its more the execution ie slow smooth feathering of the white ball and keeping still, in an almost exaggerated way even after the object ball has been struck - which ruffles and seems to get other players and spectators fidgety.

I know I should just try to block this out from my mind and I have tried to do this on many occasions in matches but only for a relatively short period of the match. I seem to speed up gradually from the moment I start a break and then end of rushing a simple shot missing it. This is something I rarely, if ever, do in solo where I can often go on and score heavily.

I'll be the first to admit that I wouldn't personally enjoy watching myself play and would prefer to watch a more flowing player mop up but if I try to play like this I'll just end up missing and think to myself that I could have taken more care over the shot.

I guess I have two options: To either work on battling these negative thoughts or to try to somehow speed up my game.

I must admit that my highest break in a match was 64 and if I remember I was playing quicker than I usually do. Perhaps this slow/methodical way is stifling any natural talent I may possess.

If you have any light to shed on this I will be very grateful.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Slow player problem

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire