mercredi 2 novembre 2016

One piece cue ...or so I thought

Hi,
In my late teens I joined my pubs pool team and was given a cue that was "behind the bar" as the rest of the team were fed up with me constantly asking to borrow their cue, the landlord said I could have the cue as he had no idea who's it was as no one had ever asked for it.
The cue was a one piece ash cue, no makers mark, no spices, in fact the black butt and "arrows" going up the shaft were painted on as at some points the paint had chipped off and the wood underneath was visible. I used the cue for a couple of years and then other life events happened and I forgot all about the cue.
Having taken up snooker in the last 3 or so years and being older and hopefully a little wiser I worked on my technique, ironing out those bad habits I had habitually built it, and finding that my game improved immensely I inevitably wanted to play more, which again only served to improve my game ...a bit of a full circle as I'm most members will recognise !......anyway back to the point of my post, although just to mention I had forgotten all about my old cue, after all it had been 20 odd years since I had even seen it. With my new improved game I had treated myself to a new cue, I visited Craftman cues in Kippax and left with a 3/4 Phoenix Master ...very nice.

I'm sorry for going on a bit and if your still reading I applause your patience, so in an attempt to cut a very long story to one that's just long, again, my tip needed replacing one day when I was due to play but I didn't have one to fit when I suddenly remembered my old cue, ran into the garage and there in the roof joists along with a few fishing rods etc was the cue, went to the club and was surprised how well I played, when I got home I decided to see exactly what was under the paint, I sanded off the butt and found that there was infact a plastic looking joint 3/4 of the way down the cue below which was a completely different wood, a chestnut coloured wood which I have no idea what it could be but I did find the whole experience interesting and although I'm under no illusions that the cue is any more than it was when I started I do think that the ash shaft is a particularly nice example but I would be interested if anyone has any thoughts on this method of making a cue, is it the way cheap mass produced cue's are or were made ?, anyone else own such a cue ?, any input, thoughts, comments gratefully received.

Again, sorry for such a long but hopefully not too boring post.

Rich.
One piece cue ...or so I thought

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire